Friday, February 29, 2008

Karate and You-Know-Who

Last night I decided to watch a little television - which is good, because a little television is exactly what I have.

I sat back on the couch and tuned into this mind-numbing animated sitcom about a morbidly obese man and depraved family. Okay...so far, so good.

I wanted to see this episode because I'm a martial artist, and the stupid fat guy's wife is supposedly doing the karate thing. So, here we go. About halfway through the show, I begin to realize that it's a morality play. Believe it or not, the people who write Family Guy are preaching to us about violence.

"Oh my gawd," the wife (whatever her name is) says. "I've brought violence into my house! I'm the worst mother ever!"

Ya know, I can't tell you how tired I am of the people around me (even if they're only 'around me' electronically) misunderstanding absolutely everything. The martial arts aren't necessarily about violence, and it's clear that the show wasn't written by martial artists or by anyone who'd ever embarked on any kind of serious MA study.

Okay. Enough of that. But I did also notice one other thing. The television had my attention for about forty minutes. During those forty minutes, I saw thirty-two commercials. And of those thirty-two commercials, fourteen were for Barack Obama.

No comments: